9th SDS Congress
- Ethics is the conscience of society
- Responsible social market economy is a reply to crisis
- The capital city is a symbol of statehood
- Resolution on SDS language policy striving for cleaner and environmentally protective Slovenia
- Slovenia in the European Union
- In favour of autonomous rather than ideological intelligence
AGENDAWelcoming speeches of foreign guests
- Election of the Congress working bodies
- Adoption of the rules of the procedure
- Reports of the Executive Committee and the Supervisory Committee of the SDS
- Address by the President of the SDS
- Discussion groups on:
- the draft Resolutions
- the draft Statute of the SDS
- the draft Programme
RESOLUTIONEthics is the conscience of society
Responsible social market economy is a reply to crisis
The capital city is a symbol of statehood
Resolution on SDS language policy striving for cleaner and environmentally protective Slovenia
Slovenia in the European Union
In favour of autonomous rather than ideological intelligence
Slovenia in the European Union1. By joining the EU, Slovenia accomplished one of the strategic goals and in 2008 it set a good example by presiding EU in the company of 27 other member states. Slovenia has not only followed European politics, but also played a role in their co-creation. This reputation should not be wasted. Within EPP and European institution programmes, Slovenian Democratic Party will continue the tradition which was formed during the Slovenian EU presidency.
2. Current financial and economic problems across the globe encourage simplified, radical and ideological considerations, moving us away from the actual problems in the economy and the society. The Europe therefore still needs a common reform strategy and that is why we strive for the ongoing process of the Lisbon strategy during 2010 and 2020. We began with this process during our presidency. The strategy should seek balance between economic competitiveness, based on innovations and creativity and care for the people and the nature. The strategy needs a global, European and a national viewpoint. The reforms in the member states should therefore be strongly supported by Brussels.
3. Slovenian Democratic Party is well aware of the pressing European problems regarding efficient use of energy sources and climate changes. Certain solutions of these related problems can be common. The lead role of EU in solving such problems will be strengthened. We fully support the ambitious objectives of EU to reduce harmful greenhouse emissions and hope for a successful conclusion of the climate protection conference held in Copenhagen in December. In order to ensure the highest possible reliability of energy supply in EU, we support the diversification of sources, the Trans-European power projects and traffic network projects.
4. Further efforts in improving Slovenian policy in EU will have to be exercised (due to Yugoslav inheritance or due to problems Croatia is facing in the process of joining the EU). In this way other member states will not consider Slovenia to be a problem, but a partner in seeking suitable European solutions.
5. Slovenian Democratic Party will do its best for Slovenia to further contribute and strive for the implementation of the Treaty of Lisbon. Our first priority is consolidating EU, which means we shall carefully monitor the conditions in the international environment and take proper steps in further EU enlargement.
6. Slovenia is in favour of Croatia joining the EU, but prior to its entrance, we wish to resolve the issues regarding unilateral measures of the national border.
7. Slovenia plays an active role in a (Central-European) Regional Partnership and supports the European future of Western Balkan states, Union for the Mediterranean and the Eastern dimension of EU. In the future, it should re-establish its strategic role in connecting Central Europe and the Mediterranean. Strengthening the identity of Slovenia as a maritime country should be one of the priorities in planning regional development.
8. Slovenia is in favour of tight cooperation with EU and its partners around the world. Slovenian Democratic Party strives for institutionalizing the Trans-Atlantic partnership with USA. Solidarity, efficiency and good cooperation among member states must be accomplished in EU; at the same time the EU must play a more active role in international relations and show unity of effort to the world in general. We shall contribute to promoting intercultural dialogue, common foreign and security policy, coordinating national safety authority, illegal migrations etc. EU today does not have an international role it deserves and needs. In certain places EU is falsely considered to be an ineffective organization, having power of disposing with considerable funding, whereas in reality it is only a successful model of intergovernmental cooperation and mutual assistance of the member states.
9. EU can take better advantage of its »soft power«, i.e. diplomacy. Slovenia must assume a greater part, but not through sectarian support for ideologically proven cadre, but through supporting young experts and eminent individuals who have already proven their skills. Slovenia has provided quality training for the staff that the new government is not able or refuses to recruit or take advantage of. In this particular area there is a considerable shortage nowadays. Slovenian Democratic Party will further stand by the candidates who know how to support European interests without neglecting national interests.
10. Due to division of responsibility and tasks between the EU and NATO we shall support the formation of the European Security and Defence Alliance.
11. Slovenia supports the economic dialogue with Russia.